Pixie Post

Sunday, February 12, 2012

How's the garden?



I love these purple beans. They didn't climb as high as expected, and they go green when they are cooked, but I usually eat a couple between the garden and the kitchen. They've been a great crop.

I pick this many strawberries most days, battling the birds and the slugs because I didn't get around to building the strawberry fortress this year. There's lettuce too, all sorts, heaps of it, picked and eaten daily.

Now the garden is becoming overtaken with pumpkins...the vines grow like triffids, fast and strong. There are about 5 plants, self seeded from my compost. I'm going to let them go and see what happens.

There's some beetroot, grown from seed that seems to be doing quite well, and a pitiful display of spring onions. And sweet peas, because I rebelled and planted them along with the beans. They're very pretty and sweet indeed. I was away for 3 weeks during Wellington's finest summer weather, and have not been capable of going near it for the last four weeks, so the weeds (nightshade! wandering willie! dandelions!) are rampant. I continue to be the best fennel grower in the world. Yes Nicola, I still hate fennel.

11 comments:

Nicola said...

Lol. My garden has been sadly neglected this year, but I have been trimming the Fennel and making sure it does not self seed too much. As for pumpkins we have the vines in the strangest of places. My other half kindly added pumpkin seeds to the worm farm. So where ever I have been feeding the plants with a little extra compost there are now pumpkins.

Nicola

Audrey said...

Sigh, your garden bounty makes me long for spring. Ah yes, the compost pile. I get potatos, tomato plants and odd squashes popping out of mine.

Ali B said...

Purple then green?? hmmm - sounds like a chemical experiment - tho I'm sure they taste great.

I grow nothing here - well one Frangipani tree in a pot which will have to go to a good home. Was just contemplating basil and parsley but not now.

Ali Honey said...

I congratulate you on any vege garden attempts. Anything you grow that you can then eat is good. We can't do every veg well every time.
keep at it. The wild pumpkins are often as good as the intended ones as they have never been planted out so have very good roots.
Hope you are feeling well again now. ( sorry I had missed a few of your posts. )

faysal said...

The First Search Engine Marketing Company in Bangladesh. Providing Global Data Entry Jobs and Training. Also a worldwide ads publisher company in Bangladesh.

faysal said...

There are many members who are already working in Refresh Online Center. Everyday Many Persons come to Our Office for becoming a member. Some of them are prepared to do our jobs and some of them are not suitable to do the job properly. For all of those persons we have arranged a training programs called Global Data Entry Training. In this programs, we present almost 6 package programs.

faysal said...

A photo gallery need to be visual. The photos are the important thing! With PicsEngine, the navigation inside albums is very easy with their thumbnails.
All photos of the selected album are showed on the horizontal menu.

faysal said...

We supply and update electronic Pharmaceutical Product and Price Data and Medical Aid Data to the South African Health Care Industry.

faysal said...

"Bangladshi Exporters" Great post.It really contains valuable information.

faysal said...

"EZ Rental Car is the Best Value in Car Rental, offering late model rental cars at convenient airport locations from friendly and efficient car hire agents at discount rental car rates. Book your car online today."

faysal said...

This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new artist. Thanks for sharing it.