Pixie Post

Thursday, June 29, 2006

What's good about winter?


Tamarillos. They were called tree tomatoes in my mis-spent youth, when kiwifruit used to be chineese gooseberries. I blanche them in hot water, peel them, and keep a bowl in the fridge for eating with cereal and for dessert. Look at that colour! I love them. No-one else in the house will touch them. Shame!


I've got a theory about this photo thing. Blogger will let the first photo be 'clickable' but not the second. So let's test it.

I'm trying to find some great photo blogs to encourage a friend to start hers. Found any good ones?

4 comments:

Ali Honey said...

I wonder if you have tried letting the Tamarillos get really, really ripe and sweet, then scooping them out of the skin and chopping over honey on Vogels bread toast....my very favourite way. Cheers, Alison.

Antipodeesse said...

I've got a lovely tamarillo chutney recipe from North & South magazine. Must remember to make it while I'm home, 'cos tamarillos are thin on the ground in France!

GS said...

There are all sorts of technical questions of (food) blogging asked and answered at

There's a great tutorial on food photography
here.

ps: tamarillos very difficult to get in melbourne :(

The Sagittarian said...

I remember trying to get tamarillo's stain out of a yellow linen jacket once (just the once mind, I was ever so careful every other time since!!)...and good ol' Napisan did the trick. I still love tams...they are good in cocktails too!