Pixie Post

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Golly



Let's talk about Gollies. I've got two more, and I'm getting on with this post rather than stress about not being able to find them. The missing gollies are hand knits, from school galas. The bow tie boy above was a gift to Jack when he was born, and the hand made one on the right was a birthday gift to me. (Thanks again J!!) He is made by Pam Lorimer, a very talented local doll-maker. He came with his own quilt, which is around here someplace. See how he is clutching his own tiny teddy? I love his elegant fingers, his wild hair, and his funky blue/black socks.

Ohh, look. These guys are for sale here.

I had a treasured Golly as a little girl. I called him my walligog (apparently!). I have some old Noddy and BigEars books that belonged to my mother as a child, and my favourite features a naughty golliwog story. Sometime in the eighties, naughty Mr Golly was declared racist and disappeared from the Noddy stories. Noddy and Big Ears weren't allowed to spend the night together any more either as I recall.

Here's a Golly quilt, called "Golly Gosh". You can buy the pattern here. Gollies seem to be popular in the Australian quilt making world.
Are they racist? Well, I can understand they may be seen this way, so we'll definitely call them gollies, and not gollywogs. For me they are a much loved childhood memory, and you should know that I don't have a racist bone in my body.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had one when I was a girl
He was 60 cm long and bright orange hair and blue shoes
like the quilt

Mechelle said...

Thanks for stoping by my Blog - nice to meet you too! Love the "Gollies" - I never had anything like this growing up-unless you count the Raggedy Ann & Andy w/red hair that my Mom made me! When I lived in South Carolina USA - I had a friend that collected these type of dolls - she called them Mammies!!

s. said...

I've been collecting them for a wee while, but was surprised to learn recently that they were on sale to the general public again. When did they stop being offensive?

You have to admit, surely, that regardless of your personal racism (or lack-thereof) that by buying and selling them, there's an implicit acceptance of the grotesque racial stereotype with which they are imbued.