Pixie Post

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Blog birthday


The Pixie Post is one year old today. I remember starting it on a grim Wellington day, when I needed to distract myself. It worked! It's still working!

That piece of birthday cake comes from the border of this quilt "2001" completed.....oh, go on, guess when.

That was the year I turned 40. Hence the bit of birthday cake. I stitched all sorts of things about me into the border, see me swimming down the wiggly blue line? There's my blue and white china collection, and my scissors, a symbol really, cos I don't use them that often. There's a pig and daffodils, and a lovely blue rose, shells from the beach and a big wine glass because those are things that make me smile. There's a hammer and a paintbrush too, because I did lots of decorating that year. It was my last year as a full time stay at home Mum. There's a blue ribbon, because I won my first one that year at the National Symposium in New Plymouth.

There's a teddy and a golly (we must talk about gollies sometime), for my two sons, that's a computer mouse, and there are 3 hearts for family. It has some stars too, one with american flags on it for Sept 11, and one with my friend's name embroidered on it, because Annette died that year. How I miss her. "What's happening this year" she asked me in January. "I'm going to be 40" I said, thinking to myself "oh my god, oh my god". "Great" she said, "we can celebrate". Had to do that without her in the end, but I've never felt bad about having a birthday ever since.

The best thing about this quilt is the gazillion 3 inch 9-patch blocks, stitched by 10 wonderful women, who swapped them fortnightly for a whole year. Deb made some. So did Morv. There were 9 quilts in the end, and they were all very different. We had crazy awards. I got one for the "bravest, most adventurous border".

It's been an adventurous year since the Pixie Post began. Thanks for stopping by.

24 comments:

GS said...

Happy blog birthday. Hmm...do you find it interesting you stitched 3 hearts in the border not 4?

The Sagittarian said...

Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday to you
Love ya,

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on a year!! And on making all those 3" nine patches. HOLY COW.Fabulous quilt :D

Anonymous said...

That AOF is just too perceptive. Happy blogiversary - see how far you've come, baby?h

Helen said...

Happy blog birthday, lovely quilt.

Deb R said...

I actually can spot a few of the blocks I made in those last couple of pics - what fun! :-)

Happy Blogiversary!

Mary deB said...

Happy blogiversary from a non-quilter. That quilt is amazing!

Shirley Goodwin said...

Happy blogday, Pixie!

Terri Stegmiller said...

Happy blog birthday! Thanks for your comments on my blog. Your quilts are lovely.

African Kelli said...

I just adore the swimmer!! You did such a great job with that quilt. I have to send this link to my mom so she can admire it too.

meggie said...

Happy blog birthday.
Just here from Ali Honey, for the first time, & have really enjoyed meeting you, & reading your posts.
Beautiful quilt, & just love the border!
I loved that glass vase with all the shells too! I miss the often cold NZ beaches.

Suzy said...

Happy Blogday! I love the quilt - what a wonderful journey it represents.

Zonnah said...

I really love how you did the border :)

Kerri said...

Happy Blog Birthday!! What a fun border!!

Jocelyn said...

Oh my, what a great quilt! Thanks for sharing.

Becky said...

Happy Blog birthday! What a fabulous quilt! Stunning! Thanks for sharing!

Quilt Rat said...

Awesome, Fabulous, LOVE LOVE LOVE that border!

Unknown said...

I love all the details in your border, and the group effort that went into making the 9-patches. Makes it so special - thanks for sharing :)

STEPHANIE. said...

wow this is great! some day I would like to have enough patience to do something this detailed. great work!...and love the music playing. :)

Coloradolady said...

Happy Birthday! Beautiful Quilt.

Unknown said...

Happy Blog Birthday, great quilt from local Wellingtonian

Cathy said...

What a fun, fun border! I love it!

Cathy ♥

Ariane said...

What a beautiful quilt. I love it!

Granny Lyn said...

The scrappiness of this one makes my heart sing!! It is absolutley beautiful!